An understanding of the nature of Science and acquisition of scientific knowledge are important for life in a technological, modern society.
Our aim is to deliver the subject in a largely practical way in which the pupils undertake various projects, activities and investigations to find reliable answers to questions about the world around them, to solve problems and to understand the need to take care of the environment.
The curriculum is a broad and balanced study of aspects of Chemistry, Physics and Biology with appropriate reference to the Humanities. It makes use of mathematical skills and ICT to analyse results, search for information and present ideas to others.
We encourage pupils to take an interest in current scientific news. In addition to scientific knowledge and method, the department aims to encourage independence, collaboration, curiosity, open-mindedness, perseverance, responsibility and the ability to self-assess.
The development of scientific language, practical techniques, communication skills and self confidence are important at every stage of a pupil’s scientific education at Russell House.
- Our new, modern Science Centre allows pupils to explore science through practical activities with a focus on “becoming a scientist”.
- Our school grounds offer much to investigate, in particular ‘mini-beast’ safaris and the physics of play equipment.
- We have regular outings to the Herstmonceux Observatory and Science Centre, Sevenoaks School Science Week, Horton Kirby for pond dipping, and a local garden centre. We also have visits from science-focused drama companies and health professionals.
- We have taken part in the National Key Stage 2 Inter-School Quiz Championship, reaching the semi finals.
- Our thriving Science Club offers the possibility of doing science in real ‘research teams’ using activities from the British Science Association as the start of a journey of discovery.
- Our Astronomy Club offers an opportunity for pupils to follow their interest and develop their understanding to an advanced level.